A small anthology:
The first edition in 1934 took place on 9 September. The race for juniors left in Ghent to go in a straight line to Wevelgem for 10 local laps.
One year later the start was given just before the summer holidays, on 30 June, on a similar circuit to that of the previous year.
In 1936 the race took place at the end of May, this time for independent riders instead of juniors.
Subsequently, until 1939, Ghent-Wevelgem was always organised in this period, no longer on Sundays as during the first two editions but during the week.
Just after W.O. II , in July 1945 Ghent-Wevelgem was back in the game!
The start was at the Zuidstation in Ghent, and this on the "holy day" of the week: Sunday.
The circuit also changed: via the "Flemish Ardennes","Heuvelland" was visited for the first time.
Finally, in May 1946 the race started at the Sint-Pieters station in Ghent. Reason for the move on the calendar was that there were too many races on the calendar during the summer period.
You know the rest of our history: the Flemish spring: wind, rain, sun but above all a lot of passion and emotion!
Enjoy our race and our DNA: "De Moeren", the "Plugstreets" and the hill zones with the Kemmelberg and this in a beautiful setting with respect for our own Flanders Fields history.